Tuesday, March 1, 2016

A Day in the Life {2}

Tap, tap, tap. Is this thing on?

Hey, there. It's me, Megan. Remember me? I know it's been a long time, too long. Life has just been crazy busy lately, and I haven't been totally motivated to write about anything specific, so I thought a little break wouldn't hurt. And, you know what, I think it did me good. I feel like I have several fresh ideas rolling around, and I am looking forward to writing about them soon. Stay tuned.

In the mean time, I thought it would be fun to share a day in the life post. These are my all-time favorite posts to look back on. Callum changes so, so much in such a short period of time, that I so often just forget what a certain stage was like. These posts help me freeze frame this period.

So, here's what our day looked like last Thursday, February 25. I must say, this was a very, very busy day. Callum and I definitely get out of the house a lot, but this day was especially packed. I promise most of our days aren't quite this exciting.

5:45 - I woke up to Callum crying in his room, about an hour earlier than he should be up. He's definitely still tired since he didn't wake up happy. I head to his room and snuggle him back to sleep. He falls back asleep quickly, but unfortunately I don't.

So, I get up, make some coffee and watch some news. I also catch up on a few days in my Mom's One Line a Day diary. I love, love, love this journal, but I rarely write in it everyday. I tend to write three or four days at once.

7:30 - Callum's up and ready for breakfast! He loves to stand at the kitchen island and just chat away while he slowly, slowly eats. He also tends to eat his cereal with both his spoon and his hands. I guess it's just easier for him to get it in his mouth that way. :) He's also been inhaling cuties like crazy lately. 

8:30 - We're off to the gym. Any time we're driving in my car these days, we're listening to the soundtrack from the Sesame Street Live show we went to. Callum asks for it every single time I start the car. I actually don't mind it at all, and love to make Callum smile as I ridiculously sing along to it. 

A few weeks ago, I was driving around in the car by myself and it took me about 20 minutes to realize I was listening to Elmo and singing along. #momlife

I get in a run at the gym while Callum hangs out at the gym daycare. He loves it there! And I love that I can get my work out down right away in the morning. Here. Enjoy my first, and most likely last, gym selfie. Also, I had my pants on backwards the whole time I was at the gym. I thought I was really making progress on that mom tummy. Turns out, that extra room was actually for my butt. 

10:00 - After the gym, we headed to my friend, Abbey's house, for a playdate with her son, Otto. The boys had a great time playing with trains, planes, and cars, and I had a great time talking with Abbey over some coffee.  Love me some play dates.

1:30 - After a quick lunch (He was asking for more Rice Krispies, but I was able to distract him with some mac n cheese and veggies.), Callum's down for his nap and I get a little work done. Thankfully, Callum still naps in the afternoons for a good 1.5 - 2 hours. When his bedroom door is open, he can see me sitting in the dining room while he's laying in his bed. So, I get started at the computer, and he falls fast asleep. 

3:00 - With about an hour left before Matt gets home, I decided to pull out some markers and paper. Callum traced his hand, while getting more marker on the table than the paper. Thank goodness for washable markers!

3:30 - After coloring for a bit, we spent some time showering our new foster pup, Max, with some attention and cuddles. He's the all black one in the picture below. Max had a rough beginning in his life and is pretty scared of people. We've been basically forcing our love on him, and he is slowly, but surely, starting to warm up. We just have to show him how great being in a loving home can be!

I should've mentioned this earlier, since we stopped to do this many times during the day, but we've slowly started potty training. We're not forcing anything or taking Callum out of diapers yet, but I try to frequently ask Callum to sit on the potty, especially when we're at home. We've been doing the old one M&M for a No. 1 and two for a No. 2, and it seems to work really well. After we've been doing this for several weeks, Callum has actually started heading to the bathroom a couple times without us asking him if he has to go. Progress! In a few weeks, I hope to have him in diapers 100% of the time. Like I said, I'm not forcing it, so if it doesn't work out, we'll just wait a little longer.

4:00 - Matt gets home and we all head outside to play for a bit. And, here's where things get real exciting. Sweet Max managed to get out of the yard and we spent the next hour or so trying to convince him to come back. Since the poor guy is so scared of us, the last thing he wants to do is come to us when he's called. With the help of some neighbors and their dogs, we managed to safely bring him home. While we were Max-tracking, Callum played with our amazing neighbors. Such life savers!

5:30 - I had plans to meet my friend, Danielle, downtown for dinner and a drink, but we quickly changed our plans after I was stuck corralling Max back home. So, we went just down the street from my house to Hue for wine and pho. It was so great to catch up with Danielle and was the perfect opportunity to unwind after a crazy busy day.

8:00 - I got home to a quiet house. Everyone was fast asleep! After letting the dogs out one last time, I snuggle up with some Netflix and veg out until bed time.

Just recounting this day makes me remember how exhausting it was. But, it was a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment